Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
Great ideas appear in the shower.
It happens all the time. Water’s flowing, you're lathering up, and out of nowhere pops the perfect opener for your upcoming speech, a breakthrough idea for your current project, or clarity on how to deal with a sticky challenge that’s been dogging you for months.
Suddenly it’s obvious.
Even the greatest mathematician of antiquity, and possibly of all time, had a Eureka! moment in the bath. Legend has it that Archimedes figured out how to calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped object while bathing. With great excitement he leapt out of the tub and ran through the streets (sans clothing) shouting “Eureka!” (which is Greek for I have found it).
What’s up with the water moments?
The magic of silence.
Your brain relaxed. It’s quiet in the shower (and the bath).
The world's so loud you can't hear yourself think.
For better or worse, technology has connected us 24 hours a day.
It used to be that creative thinking happened on your daily commute. You mentally disconnected in the privacy of your car or as you tuned out your fellow train passengers. But now you can talk, text, check email, and surf the web the entire time you're on the road.
The result of all this?
You rarely have the conditions needed to release your unconscious thought process. Which is unfortunate, since that's where clarity, ideas, and insight come from.
Sometimes you unexpectedly get unstuck!
You know when you’re puzzling over a problem, and you finally give up and go to bed - and wake up realizing you “got it” while you were sleeping?
Your unconscious mind did the work for you. (Don't you love when that happens?)
It's not that you’ll never have another inspired thought if you don't carve out opportunities for your mind to rest and your unconscious to play. But breakthroughs come when you give your brain a break.
No matter where you’re stuck, options and ideas come from creative thinking... and that starts in your unconscious. So the quickest path to getting those juices flowing is to allow space for more brain breaks in your life.
Keep it simple - fifteen minutes walking, sitting quietly in a chair, or lying on the floor with your eyes closed can all do the trick. Or turn your daily commute into a creative zone by turning off your cell-phone and listening to soothing background music — or nothing at all.
Since you’re likely to jump right back into go, go, go right after the break, keep a notebook or digital recorder close at hand so you can keep up with the flow of new thoughts that are sure to come.
And if all else fails, take more showers!
“In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Article Source: EzineArticles.com
Photo courtesy of: Patrik Theander, CC BY-SA 2.0flickr.com/Chris Sherwood
Sherry Essig specializes in helping professionals get unstuck so they can expand their capacity for more... more happiness, success, and peace of mind. Her work is built on an understanding that your professional career and your personal life are two aspects of the whole that is you. She blends over 25 years of business experience, applied metrics, and in-depth coach training with the principles of leadership of self, positive psychology, and yoga. For additional free resources to help you get unstuck visit: www.flow-dynamix.com
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!