For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
Go Outside and Play!
Even in her last year as a sixteen year-old dog, I'd still find her rolling around in the grass, completely immersed in her experience. Looking like the happiest creature on the planet, she'd wiggle around on her back, paws up in the air, enjoying the feel of the sun and the cool grass.
Refusing to act like an old dog, she couldn't have been having more fun if she was a puppy.
I'll bet as a kid you had many moments equivalent to what we affectionately called Ivy's "drop and roll." I know I did - riding my bike around the block not going anywhere, lying on my back finding shapes in the clouds.
But if you're like most grown-ups, you've long abandoned the pastime of being outside, not doing much of anything.
I'm officially calling for a return of the "go outside and get some fresh air" habit!
If your initial reaction is, "I'd love to but don't have time," consider that just a few outdoor mini-breaks can recharge your batteries, increase your productivity, and reduce stress. That's quite a return on a small time investment.
And while it might not be realistic for you to run outside in the middle of the day and roll in the grass (if it is, go for it!), there are many other ways to reap your benefits.
Stand outside for 3-5 minutes and soak up the warmth of the sun or enjoy a breeze. Find a tree, lean your head against the cool bark and take five deep breaths. If you don't care who's watching, wrap your arms around the tree trunk and give it a hug! If you watch your kids play sports, find a grassy patch during a break, lie down, and relax for a few minutes. Smell the grass, feel the air, and remember what it was like to go outside and play.
Even when your day is jam-packed from the moment you get up until your head hits the pillow, challenge yourself to find one simple way to bring a few minutes of the outdoors into your life.
I'm quite certain it's a big part of what kept Ivy happy and young at heart, and while I can't promise you'll feel like a puppy, you might just find you're living your day the way you want to live your life.
Article Source: EzineArticles.com
Sherry Essig specializes in helping professionals get unstuck so they can expand their capacity for more... more happiness, success, and peace of mind. Her work is built on an understanding that your professional career and your personal life are two aspects of the whole that is you. She blends over 25 years of business experience, applied metrics, and in-depth coach training with the principles of leadership of self, positive psychology, and yoga. For additional free resources to help you get unstuck visit: www.flow-dynamix.com
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!