Artist Showcase: Ranford Anderson
Ranford Anderson is closer in age to a senior in high school than a to senior citizen, but his mission is one that artists of all ages can stand behind. He’s working to bring an appreciation for art back to his homeland , Jamaica. As it is, anyone who expresses the desire to be a career artist gets the same cynical browbeating you can imagine the 1988 Jamaican bobsled team received when they showed up in Calgary.
Ranford started sketching when he was in the 6th grade and stuck with it until computers won the bid for his attention. As Ranford began to study information technology, the time he spent making art grew less and less until he had given it up altogether. “I honestly don't know what happened, but I suddenly stopped drawing,” Ranford says. “I have been working with computers since.”
At the beginning of this year, Ranford realized that although computers did interest him, he was pretty bored with it all. While watching YouTube videos one night, he noticed a video on how to draw a spoon. Ranford recalls, “I watched it and said to myself ‘I can draw that’,” and that’s exactly what he did. He drew the spoon, and then he started drawing portraits of people, cars, and whatever else he get his hands on. Then Ranford discovered photorealistic graphite pencil drawings. “I've found myself, my true passion, and I can now say it's an obsession!,” he proudly declares.
Ranford is clear on that fact that he doesn’t make art to compete with anyone; he simply wants to continue to improve and always one-up his personal best. “I'm an artist because I say I am. The goal is to bring back a genuine love for art in Jamaica. To inspire others to be creative—especially the youth—it’s a mission.”
Or, visit The 5-Pencil Method Community to view his profile.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!