Artist Showcase: Lisa Kelly
Recently, Lisa Kelly’s daughter made a comment that got her thinking about her art.
It came just as Lisa began taking her artwork more seriously and putting more time and energy into her efforts. Her daughter questioned her ability to stick with it, saying, “Oh mom, you won’t follow through with it.” Lisa couldn’t help but wonder if her daughter was right.
Could she stick with it? Lisa thought of her own father who had been an artist and even received some training in college. However, he had seemed content to let his gift fade into oblivion in his later years. She wondered if she had inherited the same gene.
After this occurrence, Lisa began approaching art as a discipline—something that she could train herself to stick with. By taking the time to actually sit down and work on a project—really work, not just rush through—she found that art became more enjoyable and a daily matter of course.
This month, Lisa showed her work in public for the first time. Although she didn’t win any awards, she was thrilled to sell two of her watercolor paintings. She continues to apply herself to her graphite and watercolor works and shows no sign of stopping. Perhaps (and this writer would bet on it) Lisa will prove her daughter wrong and stick with her art after all.
If you would like to see more of Lisa’s artwork, or get to know her more, feel free to check out her profile at the 5-Pencil Method Community.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!