Artist Showcase: Ginger Brady
In 1992, after nearly three decades of working in the medical field, Ginger Brady decided to make the switch to being a full-time artist.
She had been drawing houses for real estate agents in her hometown for quite some time and word was getting out that she knew what she was doing. The influx in work provided her with the opportunity to make it a full-time endeavor.
After the switch, a real estate agent asked Ginger to draw his portrait for advertising purposes. She had never drawn a portrait of a human, and the prospect seemed daunting. Glass windows, wooden doors, and asphalt shingles seemed like a far cry from human eyes, weathered skin, and salt-and-pepper hair, but Ginger decided she would accept the challenge anyway.
Referencing every book and tutorial she could find, Ginger set out to master portrait drawing. But, right off, she was frustrated by the lack of “polish” in her portraits. Her work just didn’t look as refined as she would have liked, and she couldn’t find a solution.
It was during this time that Ginger stumbled across Darrel Tank’s artwork online. She loved how he took his artwork to a new level and set out to discover his secret method. When she couldn’t replicate his techniques on her own, she got in contact with Darrel. “Over the years, I pestered Darrel to put his lessons on video since going to Idaho for art lessons was out of the question,” Ginger says. “One day, years later, he surprised me and let me know that he was going to produce lessons on video and that they would be out soon. I bought his instruction and tutorials and the rest is history. I am now working as a professional portrait artist creating work of people and animals.”
If you would like to see more of Ginger’s artwork, or get to know her better, feel free to check out her profile at the 5-Pencil Method Community.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!