Artist Showcase: Darrel Tank
The path of every artist is just about as varied and unique as the artists themselves. Ask anyone and they’ll most likely tell you that their journey didn’t happen overnight, it was a combination of events, influences, and struggles over time that molded them into the artists they have become, or are becoming.
Darrel Tank will tell you that he can’t remember a time when drawing wasn’t a part of his life, but he readily admits that it was the influence of those around him that allowed him to unpack his passion for art. Some of his earliest and fondest memories are of sitting at the kitchen table drawing with his mother and just enjoying the good company. Or the hours spent wandering around the publishing house where his father was the head photographer, just asking questions of the designers and illustrators and gaining valuable insight that would fuel his love of art in the years to come.
Over the years, Darrel has never lost his passion for drawing. As a young boy he was constantly drawing pictures to share with his friends and family. As he entered high school, he began to experiment more, and at the age of 16, began developing his tapered stroke and what would become the 5-Pencil Method he’s become so well known for today.
At 17 years old, he came down with what doctors believed to be Rheumatic fever and spent two weeks in the hospital and the subsequent three months at home in bed. It was during this time that he really began to explore his abilities and expand his skills.
Throughout his late teens and 20s, Darrel continued to draw whenever he had the chance. He had to take on “day jobs” to support his passion, but dreamed of one day being able to make art his profession. This opportunity came in the 1970’s when he made the transition to full-time artist and illustrator, a time period in which he drew some of his most well-known and beloved portraits.
Darrel’s journey continues as he takes on new projects, like Darrel Tank’s Art Studio and continues to grow the 5-Pencil Method brand. He is passionate about sharing his experience and skill with anyone willing to listen, and enjoys nothing more than seeing budding artists of all ages discover the joys of drawing.
If you would like to see more of Darrel’s work, check out his profile at www.5pmc.com
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!