Artist Showcase: Chito Seno
Four brothers, two sisters, and Chito Seno—a large family by any standard. It’s not hard to imagine dinner time and birthdays (or any event, for that matter) easily leading to sibling bloodshed. Think of it: there’s food, parental affection, and time in the bathroom all split seven ways. Are you seeing the potential for a throwdown?
For young Chito, a budding artist, rallying support (financial or otherwise) for his unpopular pastime was a frustrating challenge. He grew up in the Cebu province of the Philippines with big dreams of one day being a successful artist. Things looked promising in those early years. School notebooks became portfolios, students were parting with milk money to have him draw portraits for them, and Chito saw a fine arts college in his future.
Now if you’ve read just about any other artist showcase, you can probably guess what happened next. As is so often the case, Chito’s parents stepped in with a soul-crushing dose of reality. Chito was informed that families weren’t fed on an artist’s salary and that he should find a career that paid in more than smiles and good feelings.
Chito chose to study engineering, and in his parents’ defense, he’s truly grateful for their insight. After graduation he landed a good job and was able to support his own large family. In 2001 a software company in California hired Chito, and he moved his family to the United States, where he currently resides.
The transition, as well as the stresses of raising a family, kept Chito away from his art for about 12 years. However, after settling into life in California and finding his stride once again, Chito picked up his pencils and has been making up for lost time over the past few years. His family members are all supportive of his art. “We are a family of artists,” says Chito. “My wife is musically talented and is the music director at our church. Our kids can sing, and some can play piano or guitar. One of our sons even made it to the Top 48 of America's Got Talent in 2010.”
Chito doesn’t regret his decision to study engineering. In fact, he’s grateful for the opportunities his trade has afforded him. He is not only able to chase his own artistic dreams now, but he has also been able to raise an entire family of budding artists. “Fortunately for me, a couple of our kids can also draw,” says Chito, “and I always tell them to follow their dreams. Come what may—just follow your dreams.”
If you would like to see more of Chito’s “making up for lost time,” be sure to check out his profile at 5pmc.com
And be sure to check out the site for his tribute to fallen soldiers at www.facesofthefallen.us
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!