Artist Showcase: Casper Venter
Casper Venter joined the South African police service with the intention of becoming a part of the facial reconstruction and Identikit unit. However, when he went for an interview he was told to “leave the art to the artists and find something else to do.”
The experience cut deep and Casper set his pencils aside, joining the forensics science laboratory instead.
Three degrees, a wife, and two children later, the urge to draw returned. He bought a pack of pencils and a drawing pad, planning to pick up where he left off. This seemed like a great idea at the time, but he soon became so frustrated by lack of practice and a distracting 6-year-old that he abandoned all hope of ever drawing again.
Then, in 2010, Casper received an offer to join the Forensic Science program at West Virginia University. This life change stirred his dormant desire to draw yet again, and in 2011, after 19 years, he resolved to get back to drawing. A quick Google search lead him to Darrel Tank’s 5-Pencil Method, and after taking one look at Darrel’s work and the work of his students, Casper was hooked.
Casper says he has learned two valuable lessons on his artistic journey. First, “If God gave you a talent, don't let anyone tell you [that] you are not good at it. It took me 19 years to realize I had some talent. I only had to develop it with the right people.” And second, “You are never too old to learn new tricks. Art development has no age restriction to it. I love the times with my 8-year-old girl around the drawing table. When I was younger and my son was asking so many questions, my patience was not what it should have been at the time, but through the years I became more patient and understanding. I cannot turn back time, but I have learned from the past.”
If you would like to see more of Casper’s work, feel free to check out his profile at www.5pmc.com
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!