Artist Showcase: Carol Alvarado
The majority of Carol Alvarado’s young life was spent at the Covenant of the Good Shepherd, an all girls boarding school in Northern California.
As a child, Carol remembers being incredibly lonely and missing her family immensely during her stints at school. Relief came in the form of a set of pastels given to her by her teachers. She wasted no time putting them to use and would spend hours alone in the art room, lost in her creativity.
When she graduated from the Covenant of the Good Shepherd, she entered the convent and became a Contemplative Sister of the Cross. While there, Carol continued to cultivate her artistic gift through watercolor paintings. Her gift didn’t go unnoticed and before long she was tasked with creating artwork to give to the convent’s benefactors.
After seven years as a sister of the cross, she left and shortly after met her husband. They settled down and started a family together in Southern California. However, after her cloistered upbringing she had a hard time settling into society. To top it off, Carol had grown up in an age where learning disabilities went unrecognized and she now struggled with disabilities she didn’t even know she had.
She did, however, have her art. As in childhood, art became her one constant—the thing she was good at and enjoyed doing. Her artwork allowed her to stay home with her kids while still helping with the finances.
Over the past 45 years, Carol has learned to use her artistic talent to help others as well. In 2005, a friends art school closed and she was asked to continue teaching some of the students. For the past eight years, eight young students have come to her house for instruction.
Taking on students has made finding time for her own artwork difficult, but she’s thrilled for the opportunity to use her talent in a new and exciting way.
If you would like to see more of Carol’s artwork, or get to know her better, feel free to check out her profile at the 5-Pencil Method Community.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!