Artist Showcase: Bonnie Jenkins
Bonnie loves art and has ever since she was a child. As soon as her little hands could grasp a pencil, she was drawing whatever she could find. After high school she picked up a paintbrush and began a love affair with acrylic and oil paints.
At the time she was beginning to work with oil paints, it was popular to paint on slate. Bonnie would paint pictures on slate and then take them to the local flea market. This proved to be a successful business venture, and before long she had strangers handing her pictures and asking if she would paint them.
Bonnie continued to make art until about 10 years ago, when she was forced to give it up due to neck surgery and chronic back pain. She was unable to sit for long periods of time and just couldn’t spend the long hours sitting and working on her art.
A little over a year ago, Bonnie’s cousin passed away from cancer. In the days following, she was going through family photos and found a picture of her cousin and aunt that she just couldn’t take her eyes off of. It was such a great picture, and she couldn’t shake the feeling that it would also make a great drawing. The feeling was so strong that she decided to draw it herself.
She had to complete about 90 percent of the drawing while standing, but she completed it nonetheless. This experience gave her the push she needed to get back to her artwork. Graphite pencil is her weapon of choice these days, and as you can see from her work above, she’s pretty darn good at it.
You can view more of Bonnie’s work and the work of many other artists at www.5pmc.com
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!