Are You Holding Yourself Back?
“Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance." —Steven Pressfield, The War of Art
Do you sense there’s something more in store for your life but just can’t put your finger on what that is? Are you craving to express yourself more fully, yet self-doubt or uncertainty holds you back from taking that first step?
The pain you’re experiencing is the gap between your desire and your destiny. Take heart, as this discomfort is trying to awaken you to positive change. Here are three easy strategies to get you rolling toward your creative ideas and passionate projects:
1. Take Account
When was the last time you took account of the enlivening and supportive people and opportunities you currently have in your life? Even if things appear to be challenging in this moment, what inner strengths or outer resources can you draw upon? What brings you pleasure and joy? It can be something as simple as enjoying your favorite latte in the morning light. Taking account is a wonderful wake up to what you might be taking for granted. Think in terms of material, emotional, and spiritual blessings that are present TODAY and fully within arm’s reach to support you.
2. Change the Scene
If life feels a bit flat from doing the same old routine, a change of scenery—even a small one—prepares your brain to receive new input and ideas. Exposure to novel experiences (sights, sounds, people, events, books, movies) stimulate you in subtle and often powerful ways. Choose a different walking route, rearrange your art studio, try an exotic restaurant, take that art class you’ve been wanting to take.
3. Follow a Hunch
You may be getting little nudges from your inner muse and not realizing it. The quiet urgings of your heart are often neglected, stuffed, or rejected as being “silly,” but if they keep coming to your attention, follow your hunch. Take that Intro to Spanish class, go talk with the curator of a local gallery, or tag up with a friend who can share your experiences and help you stay on track. Hunches eventually become “hits” as they’re either confirmed or not as pointing you in the right direction of your desires.
What’s holding you back? What first step can you take to move forward? Leave us a comment and share your action plan for moving past the resistance!
Christine is a creative catalyst coach and practicing artist who guides aspiring creative entrepreneurs and artists to realize their dreams at YourPathonPurpose.com.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!