3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
We have all experienced the frustrations of being stuck in a rut, going round and round in circles with no clue how to break free. We ask ourselves the same questions, get the same answers, and take the same actions, in the end we can't see the wood for the trees, feel stressed and useless, and just want to stop the world and get off!
Albert Einstein said that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - yet we have all done it. If this is you, now is the time to stop it, and you can! Here are my top tips on how to move forward and create that change.
1) Focus on what you want
Be really clear and specific. Your goal may be something intangible to start with, like happiness or confidence, but give yourself something tangible to aim for, a new job, relationship, travel, a house, a hobby... be honest with yourself. What do you really want?
So often we focus on what we don't want, inadvertently creating self-fulfilling prophecies as we wish so hard that the thing we don't want doesn't happen.
There is an old Hawaiian proverb that goes 'energy goes where attention flows', so be careful about the instruction you are giving to yourself. Think about what you do want, and all that getting it will give you.
2) Take action
When you are clear on your goal, identify what you need to do, who can help you, and take responsibility. Even if your first step is to tell others about your intentions so that you get guaranteed support, you must be prepared to make some changes and take action. What is your first step and when can you do that? Be really specific about when too - saying next year is not motivating enough!
3) Remove negative emotions and limiting beliefs
Easier said than done? That's your decision. What are you thinking to create the feelings you have? What are you telling yourself to know that you can't do something?
Let's face it, if a really rude person came to your party and insulted your family you'd march them straight out, and if they came back you'd do it again, and again and again... well, you'd do it as often as you needed to until that person got the message! So why entertain that person inside your mind?
Ever listened to your music collection and noticed how different tunes evoke different memories and feelings? Choose the positive motivational one, play it first thing in the morning to get you moving... and get out of that rut!
Sam Holman is a 'Guru of Brave' and works with women in transition to unlearn limitations that have held them back in the past. If you liked this post you'll love her free e-book '10 top tips to get from scared to successful' designed to un-rutify your life! Simply go to www.holsamlifecoaching.com to claim yours.
You might also like...
- 8 Tips for Creating Happiness and the Life You Want
- How to Keep Your Creative Desire Alive and Healthy!
- 3 Tips to Get Out of That Rut
- For Your Art's Sake! Go Outside and Play...
- 16 Ways to Demonstrate Your Art Has Value
- Live Your Life With Purpose!
- Are You Suffering a Creative Drought?
- Introducing Yourself as an Artist
- 4 Reasons Small Steps Have Big Impact
- 7 Tips For Staying Focused On Your Goals
- Supply Your “Why” In Your Artist Story
- How to Write the Perfect Artist Statement
- Is There A Place for Chaos In Your Creative Workspace?
- Help! How do I Price My Paintings?
- Silence Is Golden and It Speaks Loud and Clear!
- Mountain or a Mole Hill? 3 Secrets for Accurately Expressing Size In Your Artwork
- Motivation’s Secret Ingredient...And How it Can Change How You Get Things Done, Forever!
- Where Your Attention Goes, You Go!
- Unlock the Power of Your Pencils: A Guide to Drawing With Graphite
- 6 WillPower Hacks: A Cheat Sheet for Growing Your WillPower with a Few Simple Exercises
- 4 Phrases Artists Should Never Use
- How to Frame Artwork So It Lasts! (and Lasts, and Lasts...)
- Are You Holding Yourself Back?
- 4 Tips for Reaching Your Artistic Goals (Even If You’ve Failed Before)
- Visual Principles: Limitation? Or An Open Door?
- The Color Debate
- 5 “Must See” Movies for Artists and Art Lovers!
- 6 Resolutions Every Artist Should Make—and Keep!
- How to Draw an Apple Without Ever Picking Up a Pencil!
- Want to be an Artist? Better Start "Digging"!
- Getting Personal: The Inside Scoop on Personal Sketchbooks
- Ditch the Rules! A New Perspective on Perspective
- Art and Dyslexia: The Picture-Perfect Combination?
- "If You Don't Try, You're a Loser"
- How to Make Art They'll Fight Over When You're Gone
- 9 Visual Blunders Every Artist Should Avoid like the Plague
- Take it Outside: A Plein Air Painting Demonstration by Jennifer Young
- Sketchbook Journal Your Way to Being a Better Artist!
- Once an Artist, Always an Artist
- Taming the Unmotivation Monster!
- Painting with pencils: The Color Pencil Start-up Guide
- Turn Your Vacation Into An Art Lesson You Won't Forget!
- “His pencils were put to rest for the next 55 years!”
- How To Be Creative At Any Age
- Turn Your Doodles Into Lasting Memories!
- The Gift That Gives Back
- Wait! My brain does what?
- Reunited with a childhood friend
- Capturing Artwork that Captures Your Audience
- 3 Secrets that will change your artwork forever!